Monday, December 19, 2011

skirting the edges of Rule One - A poem for Mom to hold against me.

There are rules meant to be broken
and some we bend around to survive
Mom feels her Rule One is inviolable
but like all rules its oft avoided
or at least I skirt its edges.

Take yesterday's adventures in work for instance
where to get a job done right
I had to walk that grey line
that marks the borders of violating it
to achieve the goals I had set.

Cleaning out years of built up debris
took using power tools in risky ways
but to do it the safer way
would have taken more of the day
risking light hypothermia, if not frost bite.

So I chose speedy resolution over safety
taking a few risks more than normal
and by the Grace of the Lord
avoided the dangers offered by Lady Luck
Getting the job done safe and swift.

Oh, there is a risk for sure
if Mom reads this poem this week
of taking a blasting for the risks
but still, the job must be done
some days I don't channel Captain Klutz.

(12/19/2011 - Dyfedd Rex)

No comments:

Post a Comment