Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Twisted Offering - a strange poem of the season and job hunting

I will save the commentary for after you read this, just read it all before sicking the authorities upon me, please...... you might regret doing so.


In throes of near Economic Depression
when desperately searching for gainful employment,
one resorts to means more resourceful
in imagination than in easier times.

Yes indeed, one finds one must
turn to the forces of darkness
and offer up a precious sacrifice
to obtain a job more swiftly.

Decisions made in night's middle hours
come to pass with rising sun.
I grab several small wooden spikes
and kidnap the unsuspecting innocent lambs

Then off to find an altar
to do the terrible deed upon
and seal the deal I made
with forces beyond your mortal comprehension.

With luck it is found finally
a place left momentarily unattended
for me to do foul deeds,
I lay the forfeited ones out.

Chanting a complex prayer, voice soft,
I raise up my weapon high,
as the priest comes back out
hollering for me to please stop

Too late, the spear is fallen
piercing the skin like thin foil
allowing the ichors to flow out
filling the air with sickly sweetness.

Father Gilliam lays stern, shaking hand
upon my shoulder as he gazes
upon the gift I have bequeathed
to the next world so brutally.

A deep sigh, the hand stills,
then whips my shoulder around wickedly
so I stare into mournful eyes
"Son, you cannot keep doing this..."

His voice trails off into chokes
as laughter rises up from within
both of us looking back again
at a toothpick impaled Carmello bar...
           ..my sacrifice to God for Employment.

Okay, now that you understand I was not sacrificing children or small animals, we can discuss the origins of this poem without spoiling it.

I have a friend who lives in terror of his black cat getting out in the fall, especially the closer it is to Halloween. He was telling me of his fears, of never seeing the poor kitten again she were out, and what some sickos might do to her. That same day, I had a conversation about this is the season for offering up gifts to the gods and costumed children of small pieces of chocolate... you get where this is going, yes only my mind could combine these two ideas, then again who knows... maybe my slimy brain actually was resonating in tune with the thoughts of others. Who cares... but seriously, other than a candybar, what else does God really need?

You can all shun me now, or share this around if you liked it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment