Saturday, November 26, 2011

Deerboy on a Bicycle - a poem of better days

Once upon a Febuary Morning,
back in Two Thousand Two,
as I headed to work
in lightly drifting snow flurries,
something remarkable and strange occurred.

Standing in my parking lot,
bold as brass and tacks,
was a buck mule deer
and two of his does,
just looking for the exit.

My car was still broke,
so I was biking then,
and as I mounted up
and started to the street,
these deer moved out also.

Reaching the snowy front yard,
where with two directions open
other than the right turn,
four more head gathered in
as I turned down hill.

A lawn and corner park
added anther ten head each
to this strangely magical drive,
as the sky lowered down
and snow picked up again.

Pedaling through that soft powder
with a herd before me,
like a cowboy of old,
under the orange hued clouds
I must have looked strange.

Passed three neighbors who laughed,
a cop who looked stunned,
and some other folks too,
as at every turn attempted
the deer moved with me.

Six turns and nine blocks
my magical deer drive lasted,
until at last they scattered
to lawns along Second South,
as if tired of playing.

To this day I wonder
how that image looked then
of the bicyclist riding along,
like in an old movie,
with deer instead of cattle.

All I can say now
is it sticks in memories
as a moment without doubt
never to fade quietly away,
but to stay forever firm.

(11/26/2011- Dyfedd Rex)

No comments:

Post a Comment