Monday, February 7, 2011

Perils of the Board / Cards Against Me - yet another Cribbage poem (s) (see a pattern here?)

I went to all that trouble to load the crib,
had a five and a jack tossed in,
and the good five came up,
making it the right jack.
I turned over the cards you tossed in
and the first one made my heart race.
Another five, oh baby, please please please.
And I flipped over a dang six.
If I wanted a six of anything,
it would be six beers while in bed.
Blast. There went another chance at the high hand.
All I got now was a lousy fifteen-8,
six for the nickels, and one for his nibs.
Still leaves me behind the line, and eating a skunk,
even though I count first next hand.

--------

Right from the cut for deal,
Things went wrong somehow.
I drew a deuce and knew that Lady Luck had walked.
You had a king, higher than me by far.
The deal was garbage, I remember asking who dealt it,
and tossed you an eight-seven to avoid breaking
a double run just down the count, 4-5-5-6.
Damned if an hourglass didn't come up,
and you tossed your won pair of sev's.
You pegged on me hard, from the first hand on,
And it was like your cards were on fire.
I got two nineteen hands,
but you had runs and fifteens to spare.
Even a flush once.


You took the corner fast,
three hands and two cribs,
and I still wasn't there,
while you were half way from the corner
to double skunk bend.
The cards turned after that,
for a little while anyway, just enough
for me to make it past the two stinkers,
and close to dozen holes back
You had junky hands, but still could do me in
as I was so rattled you mugged me twice.
Back stretch was going fast,
you again pulled away, 24 in a double double run
and a crib worth seventeen, with faces and a five,
Right jack in the hand, never missing a count.
while I ate your dust with lousy pairs
and once a six hole hand for fifteen four
and the twain of nines by way of a six.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment