Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Unexpected Gifts - A Poem of the Streets

It sometimes happens,
holding that cardboard after dark,
the kindness of strangers expands beyond expectations
leaving me to stand stunned
that others notice.

I never aim
for more than tomorrow's needs
as I "fly my kite" most times,
just want some hot coffee
after I rise.

Then events turn
after a slow evening standing
with just enough for half my goal
that a twenty slides out
a lowered window.

You thank them,
deeply moved, suffering some guilt
at needing to do this begging often
as Unemployment was firmly denied
when this began.

It leaves impressions,
and a motivation to succeed
at getting back on your own feet
so you can start recovering
by paying forward.
21January2014 - A grateful Dyfedd Rex, who won't fly for over a week now.

No comments:

Post a Comment