Monday, May 2, 2011

Biting Bullets - a poem of westerns' inspiration

They dig deep into the ground
stirring up the dust as the drill
new burrows into the earth
seeking to find a new tomb
back in earth if not my flesh.
Not that I ain't deservin' 'em

Got in this mess by fool's gold
soft galena that in town I used
to trick some greenhorn idiot
out of most of his fancy kit
for a taste of the west's riches,
metals, cattle, goods for the takin'.

Never knew until I was pinned
under his relentless fire here
outside the salted claim I planned
to sell him for what little he had
that he was no pilgrim new born
but some wildcat in slicker's kit

Teethed on the lead in Kaintucky
among many feuding kith and kin
this seeming dandy was no skypilot
yet he had come to read me from
that good book and piss on my grave
for the sins I had done unto him and others.

Bit my own bullets over the years
and never thought would come to this
to die over a simple jumped claim
that other dead men had defended
when I came to this bit of desert
to steal what I did not deserve.

Pain tears through me as at last
he finds his mark and stops teasing
to lure me out, but decides with mercy
I had not shown him when skinning
to put me down like the dog I was
Fires of the pain, first taste of Hell' Flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment