Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lifting my Kamforka against Winter - a poem

The long twilight settles
the colors of fall dim
as the light slowly fades
the reds the last standing
though lower down near me
the golds and greens stay
a bit longer as the herald
the change coming shortly
as Old Man Winter sends
his herald Autumn Snows
to make another call here.

The U glares above me
sitting at the highest bench
a beacon for the twilight hours
as the change fills bones
with that dread even yet
though the air is not cold
just a bit chilled for now
but that moment is coming
when morn will be white
even on the valley's floor.

Sky shifts from crips azure
down through indigo shades
on its way to deep black
as the day quits the world
to seek another place to play
and I am left wandering still
in search of who I am now
and next must become
in this performance called Life
we all walk through seemingly blind.

The lights begin to glow
as Night spreads out her quilt
and the windows and lamps
glow forth a warmer light
that still speaks of coldness
as the air takes on a crispness
that lends to my coming foe
his greatest weapon of all
that of others being safe
while risk it all each night.

But I have my own arsenal
one of warmth from within
I light up the spirit fire
and lift my personal kamforka
aloft above my bowed head
in praise of the beauty
I had the honor to just see
of the change from day
into night once more,
knowing dawn will surely be
just as gorgeous to see.
(10/2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment