Sunday, October 9, 2011

Winter's Warning Shot

Winter's first brush by
and the warm returns.
But for how long
and will I survive
living as I am
day by slow day
walking, waiting and worrying
if that one job
will at last fall
into my shaking hands?

Winter's first warning shot
as I camp out
with tarp and blanket
under some conifer tree
who's location I keep
away from all here
so I can return
and use it again
for a while longer
without losing it forever.

Summer's last call here
a short warm period
before the autumn settles
bringing its own issues
upon my weary head
as I wander slowly
around this busy place
seeking more hidden places
to use as shelter
when the winter comes.

Autumn's beauty around me
in changing colors bright
as the trees slip
into their long slumber
but I still move
amid and below them
seeking release a way
that will keep me
safe through until spring
and warm air's return.

Winter's melting calling card
still on high places
for a little while
reminding me the dangers
that will soon fall
upon me in earnest
unless God grants again
his grace upon me
lifting me genlty out
of this dark time.

Spring's echo still rings
in a few flowerbeds
where yellows and golds
reds and neon oranges
glow their last days
but this morning held
their death on blades
of deep green grass
coated in white frost
as summer finally ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment