Monday, October 22, 2012

The Rewards of Subtle Sunsets and Patience - A poem of photography and nature



A dull grey evening
not a hint of color
as I chased one last sunset
and looked at slate skies
worried nothing would show.

 Hints of pink lay
far off to the north
barely showing to my lens
beyond detail range of zoom
which was digitally supplied



Across the railyard's remains
past that band dropping rain
in scattered showers I could see
that a trip south tonight
might have held rewards.


Too late to change
stuck with the venue here
I waited patiently just to see 
if that slim break westward
over the islands grew. 

So I goofed around
playing with limited F stops
seeing what I could salvage yet
of the night's simple beauty,
staying away from trouble.

Looking southeast, over downtown
Olympus and Twin Peaks stayed clear
save the bands of precipitation flirting briefly
to lay thin snowy hints
of the week ahead. 
Play of windowed light
finding a chasm amid billows
whose dark bottoms gave me contrasts
to show Nature's gorgeous shadows
on mountains and foreground.

Many frames sunk in
permeating memories, silicon and carbon
when northward glance caught the light
as far-off curtains burned
over another city there.


Bit north of west
the gap kindled at last
outlining Stansbury Island with rich pinks
and making me think softly
'tis my money shot. 


A few more clicks
about to give up finally
and seek a bunk and food
when out of the corner
my eye noted rays.



Two steps forward hesitating
not sure what I could catch
and God's paint brush moved swift
laying out the beams subtly
amid the grey world


So short a display
barely time to record it
as the rays descended westward swiftly
leaving only skyfire broken harshly
by smokestacks and lightpoles. 

Thank you, World.
For this
Bliss. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jason. It was a great night... just wish my camera could have done it better justice.

    ReplyDelete