Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Buck Sleeps Here - a poem of a wildlife encounter

It was the perfect place
trees to break chilly breezes
a pine to lay under
on those snowy cold nights
with a bed of leaves
to rest upon in comfort

It was too damned perfect
I should have known that
and in the dark hours
before the frozen dawn broke
its other user showed up
irritated I used His bed.

He let me know it
with no doubts being left
pawing the ground quite harshly
rattling the branches with antlers
as he paced out there
demanding the bower he made.

When I did not move
at the speed he desired
to vacate the premises post-haste
He walked on through it
keeping a distance but still
letting me know his displeasure.

So I dragged my stuff
and left that sweet spot
as he claimed it again
rolling to disturb the leaves
and remove my scent quickly
for the buck sleeps here.
(11/27/2011) - Dyfedd Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment