Thursday, December 13, 2012

Murphy Wants to Play - A poem of God's Cribbage Board

When I came in today
I heard the shuffling cards,
and after a little bit
that ghostly crib board appeared
once more with pegs set
for three players to game.

Looking at the score track
I note the skunks taken
by the others of late
as I got mugged again.
Yet I am not out
needing to settle my account.

God deals out first hand
and from my five cards
I choose one to discard
having to load his crib
or break my sweet hand
leaving me to trail behind.

So once more we play
on this ethereal game board
and the pegs mark progress
though I wonder some times,
is it just a dream
until Satan's hand is nineteen.

That leaves me to smiling.
Yeah, even the Lying Prince
has to be honest here
for he knows he's replaceable,
as Murphy sits behind him
asking to be dealt in.

Never sure what cards land
on the table for me
until I lift them up
and pray Lady Luck intervenes
to give me the cut
and make my hand win.

13December2012 - Dyfedd Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment