Wednesday, April 8, 2015

You Must Keep Up - A Poem of Life's Demands

You gotta speed up,
do everything faster and better,
even when you just start out
after a long time broken,
'cause we like speed. 

You must buy this,
have the latest electronic toys
and be with the trending styles
or we'll leave you behind
back in the gutter. 

It may not be,
but to my jaded eyes
this is your "good" society now,
as I try to return,
and find more obstacles. 

I cannot afford things
others feel that just because
they have some tool or toy
and I have to show
my success with such. 

None see the sin,
that commandment they willingly break,
You know the one, don't you?
About coveting thy neighbor's goods?
Or have you forgotten?

I cannot keep up
with the speed some think
is making us more productive drones
for a society without soul
who tosses aside hope. 

I'll never be rich,
style I might dearly lack,
but I hope I'm at least
the guy who still walks
his own, personal path. 

And does it quietly,
trying not to disturb others
when he has failures or success,
but knows he falls short
being a flawed human. 

7April2015 - Dyfedd Rex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment