Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Job Search version 239 and various points

Some think I am kidding, but this is the 239th version of your host here looking for work of some sort.

And this one looks to be a doozy, as it is trying to fit a job around someplace that cannot, until they find out just how many they are losing to other locations/releases/quits, give me a firm answer as to what hours I will have available to work elsewhere. Or what days. Right now, I seem to be firm in having Tuesday/Duesday off, but that is all. I understand this, and am not mad at them, it's not their fault, just part of the market right now. Until that is resolved in a few weeks, I am stuck at just looking, trying to match up as best I can, and burning tobacco to the gods of employment in frustration at some of the postings and replies.

I just did a poem on one such, just asking a place I've done a lot of favors for to keep their well-connected ears open, only to have them demand more free aid, and tell me they cannot, even off-duty, relay such info. Well, I refrained from the profanity most would say, but still told them, as the poem said, "You're on your own" as well. Which shocked them, hurt them, and hopefully sent a wake up call to all the other folks who I have markers of this sort with.

My network is a burnt out bridge these days, sometimes torched not by the network, but others outside it, who wanted to settle grudges or just deny someone else something. So, it is back to the grind of blind applications, this with what once was a solid job board for small local firms being down for some reason, or blocking searches of the sort I was doing (limited range around a zip, perhaps, who knows?). This is what shifted this to version point 7 so fast, and might make redesign to 8/9 come faster. I know for sure that no one will like job search 240's parameters. Too narrow, focused on where to publish, and the hell with "working for the man" crap, save the current job.

I count just looking at the market as a job search, even if I never apply. Reason? If I'm that unhappy/needy/greedy, then a search is in place, even if it is just researching the market to see what is out there, or for ammo on negotiating staying in place.

This is not one of those situations. My current job still has my loyalty, for now. They gave me the break, and admitted up front it would be part-time, so I accept that, and am merely looking for something to work around availability they need to build back a solid base to stand on. This alone makes some say I am not really searching. They think you sell out the guys who lifted you up, just to get ahead. That is not part of my personal code. And, think about it, if you want honesty and integrity, you don't ask someone to sell out their personal code for a job, unless that code is just the Law of the Jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment