Saturday, November 3, 2012

Standing my ground - A poem of the streets and life's underbelly.


Words can kill
maybe not directly
but in the dark night
what was said
comes to roost.

Thus it was
just last night
when a stoner took offense
at a conversation
about something else

Before the dawn
while we packed
he tossed a sucker punch
thinking we spoke
about his kind.

Cowards way out
he wouldn't continue
threatening me with outside action
when I offered
to dance then.

Others urge caution
or say flee
But I will stand firm
and not run,
but defend myself

Some say now
the only way
is "take it to him"
or counsel wisely
"choose your ground".

I will wait
for having stood
and told him "try again"
to his face
I've already won.

You don't see
and never will
the iron within a man
until you realize
who he is.

"Who knows you?"
he called contemptuously
and all I can say
is three words,
"God, and me".

So if soon
I'm suddenly quiet
say a prayer for him
and remember this
my jaw's iron...
... and I cheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment