Monday, September 9, 2013

Quiet in the Campsite - A Poem of Escaping Homelessness.

First time it hits me
comes amid the quiet
as I load my pipe,
up at my higher campsite
happy to be back
but missing that companion
who walked along side
for the past year and  ahalf.

No conversations,
no long diatribes on life,
no snoring wakes me
during this first peaceful night
as I learn again
how to walk this dark world
with no wingman near.
Not really alone
amid the trees and grasses.

He managed to leave,
and now his spot is empty
here in this high place
where we spent some nights
hiding from our fate
as just another damned set
of homeless folks out
seeking a safe, tame rest place.

I'm happy for him,
he's getting out of the mess
just as the fans spin
to shred the fertilizer
that so many spread
out here on the lonely streets
where he was stuck at
for way too long over years.

My buddy got free,
Wishing him the best of luck
as I kick back now
take a puff on my old pipe
and gaze calmly up
watching the stars roll on by
clouds dancing amid
their splendour above my place.

He got free at last.
Which gives me hope, I will too.

9September2013 - Dyfedd Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment