Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Summer's Toll - A poem of my experiences.

Others love it,
and don't doubt me,
so do I.
Just not for reasons
that are shared.

Summer creeps up
and steals my sleep,
longer days meaning
shorter nights for sleeping,
amid the heat.

I walk about
gazing up after sunset
at the stars,
seeking the racing meteors
faint smoke trails.

And stay up
way too damned late
for that pleasure,
losing out come dawn,
light rousing me.

I cannot sleep
while the sun shines
like years before,
something broke in me,
stealing that skill.

Now, I suffer
the lack of sleep
from May's warming
until September's chills arrive,
unless August preempts.

Staggering about daily,
I try to press on,
not as easy
with more years added
to my burden.

But sleep will
eventually come around (please!),
and knock me
down for the count,
on some days.

27Jun2016 - A tired and frustrated Dyfedd Rex.

No comments:

Post a Comment