Friday, May 25, 2012

Finding My Lost Soul Again - A poem of peace and tranquility amid chaotic feasts.

In case you cannot tell from the current trend, feeding the birds at the park is my current recreational activity. But its fun as all the dickens. And a bit inspiring.

Swarming the ground before I sit
come my feathered friends to feast
upon the old bread I have
and offer to share with them
as I enjoy the afternoon's quiet time
seeking inner peace and perhaps redemption.

I know them by sight now
recognize markings on their sleek plumage
even ignoring sometimes the tracking bands
as I offer them names slowly
making sure those big bully geese
don't snag all I offer up.

There is the brave little drake
who just walks right up calmly
seeking to take food from hand
like he's seen the ganders do
and his poor broken billed mate
who loves crustless bits of bread.

There is Frost brow the goose
who hisses her way in closer
then expresses her outrage over application
of equal rights for the ducks
by snapping at every parcel flung
or striking at my knees softly.

Then there is Sable and mate
who snake into the pack quick
attack the geese to distract them
and let the others steal bread
while they take on the giants
who rule this pool, when allowed.

There are many others with names
each has one in my mind
if not one I speak outloud
and other critters join the fray
sparrows, a starling, even some gulls
as the tidbits litter the ground.

This is my relaxation, inside chaos
as kids watch me feeding them
laughing and asking parents for bread
so they can try meeting birds
so upclose and personally (just briefly)
until they see snapping at fingers.

I find my soul once again
as I dole out the food
and wonder where it was journeying
until our reunion amid this mess
as the ducks and geese war
over the last bits tossed out.

(23May2012- Dyfedd Rex)

No comments:

Post a Comment