Saturday, December 8, 2012

She Remembers... - A poem of Nature's Seasonal Gift to me.



She remembered me despite a year
walked towards me for a moment
then scattered back to her herd
scared off by the slowing bicyclist.

Backing into the brush for then
she wandered off amid the scrub oak
turning her head back on occasion,
until her buck imposed himself between us.

Few weeks later, after bad night
I went camping instead to the shelter
wandered back to my low camp
to spend a night away from crap.

In the early hours before dawn
I felt something walk in with hesitance
then a nose touched my neck
sniffing before giving a sudden surprising lick.

Looking through squinted eyes I noted,
she was there, as all around me
her herd settled into separate bowers,
and she took the one containing me.

I rose slowly, each move careful,
rolling up my gear, making my packs
trying not to spook this doe,
who watched me leave, taking my place.

This is nature's gift this season
the doe who remembered me from before
and knew I would leave warm
the spot she sleeps at by day.

8December2012 - Dyfedd Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment