Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pondering some things - talking something out

From time to time, I do the unspeakably cruel and painful act of looking at a tale I wrote for a second, third, hell, umpteenth time, and saying....

"I can fix that....maybe." 

This way lies madness. Yet, Billenius was born of such, and this time, I'm leaving it up as a tool, not just for me, but others, on writing. I am still amateur status, just a writer, not an author, seeking that first paid short, novel sale or what have you. But, I know others can learn, by watching my own struggles. So, for a change, rather than giving you a system, some magic formula, it is time for some writer (okay, me, not someone else) to take a bold step, and say,

"This is the hell of editing, revision, and rewrite. Sure you still want to do this crap?"

I am looking at "Predator's Ground", one of the Hunts of Scorpio Kenrai (use the other blogs tab, and click there to access those blogged stories), the first story I tried to serialize after doing "Journey to Freedom" as a serial. I have never been totally happy with this tale, and staring at it, I realized some of the whys this week. Now, it's time to see if it can be fixed, or needs to be left in the category of "This was an early, world building thing I should have left in the darkness of my files, not shared."

So, here is a question, for this project, should I do the revision talk here, and post the fixes there, leaving things up as originally posted, adding the fixed versions, as a teaching tool, for myself, for others, for the analytic minds that need to examine what drove me insane (besides reading parts of the paper not contained in the funny pages, that is).

I loved the precept, it was to set out how my world's assassins and bounty hunters worked. And to some part, it laid the foundation. But, should one revisit the tale, fix it for what has fleshed out since then?

Face it, I will touch the tale, but how is what I'm asking for folks to advice, rant or talk about.

Or am I just trying to avoid all this talk around me about how my beard needs trimmed again?

No comments:

Post a Comment